Hi, I do rarely posting things on lemmy or frankly speaking this is my first time. I hope this meet this sub rules, despite it’s a Spirallinux (it’s still debian right?) problem or possible a framework system problem.

A strange problem appears when I install a steam game and try to start it. When the game tries to launch, the screen just freezes for a moment with the logo of the game start screen. After a few seconds the screen went black and the cursor poped up without the possibillity getting to the tty.

At first I had an system with an encrypted disk. When I installed Baldur’s Gate on my system and started the game, the system crashes and the only thing I could do was pushing the power button. After reboot trying to enter my passphrase, the encryption manager always reported me that I entered the wrong phrase. I gave up since I couldn’t even manage my snaps to rollback. I thought it was a critical bug from the game.

When I deleted my drive and tried to set up a new system I gave another game a chance. This time it was The Talos principle 2. Same problem. The system crashed with the only option pushing the power button. But this time I installed my system without encryption so I could enter my snaps on boot. The problem here is that several of the latest snaps were corrupted. Only the older ones were still working (snaps from 2 or 3 days ago).

The newer ones reports shows failing to start some podman-restart.service, podman-auto-update.service and networking.service.

Steam is from the debian repository.

My system: OS: Spirallinux (Debian 12) Kernel: Backport 6.5.0

Laptop: Framework 13 AMD Ryzen 7040 Series Ram: 64GB Firmware: 3.03

I don’t know how to troubleshoot this problem. I hope I can find some help here. Thanks for any tips and help!

• @hackeryarn@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    56 months ago

Don’t use steam from the Debian repository. Especially not if you’re on the stable branch. Steam simply moves to fast for stable.

Try downloading the steam flatpak. That’s the way I always run it and haven’t had any issues.

• @SaitamaOP
      link
      36 months ago

Thank you for the answer. I guess this is the only way. I already tried steam from flatpak and it works.

• @hackeryarn@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        26 months ago

From a privacy and security perspective, it’s mostly better to run non free software in something like flatpak. At least it provides some layer of isolation from the rest of the system.