• Thrashy@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

Keep in mind that a large chunk of the United States is considerably closer to the tropics than Europe is. Washington TC is on roughly the same latitude as Lisbon or Ibiza is. It’s not tropical, but climatically it’s still considered sub-tropical, and large chunks of the country have the summer heat and humidity to prove it.

• naevaTheRat@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

I’m not from Europe. I’m from Australia.

ATM I live in temperate rainforest, have spent time in tropical heat up in northern QL.

Until the air gets saturated a lot of ability to cope is a combo of adaptation and conditioning. I wear jeans all year round pretty much and generally don’t run into problems as long as I’m drinking water. People less use to heat don’t move as much blood to their perpheries, probably don’t drink anywhere near enough water, and aren’t used to feeling comfortable in wet clothing (from sweat or from wetting yourself down).

I spent some time in Thailand and felt like I had found my people when it was a 30 degree day and I put on a jumper, went outside and saw many others doing the same!

• Wugmeister@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Actually Europe’s weather is pretty analogous to the Midwest, thanks to an ocean current dumping lots of warm water to their north. Although that might be changing soon idk