• Soggy@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

Working dogs are great, but aren’t usually great pets. They need a job, an outlet, and usually a lot of structure.

• iheartneopets@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

They’re challenging for sure and I don’t recommend them to inexperienced/unprepared dog owners, but they can be amazing as pets! Very rewarding, especially once they get past the first year and a half or so. Then, if you’ve done well, you’ll almost have your own language with these dogs and they’ll understand almost everything you say to them. They’re incredible. I may honestly never have a different breed of dog.

The huge ‘BUT’ is definitely everything you just said. They need outlets for their energy (even if it’s just a hardcore game of fetch every day) and ways to engage their mind (Kong toys and smart balls do wonders for ours when it’s raining) or they can be very anxious, destructive, and generally neurotic.

• ephemeral_gibbon@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

Yep, grew up on a farm in Australia with kelpies. They’re great dogs and really lovely.

However, I’ve seen them appearing in the city a bit and that’s just a terrible idea all round. They need much more space and stimulation than they can get off a farm.