So I am planning on buying an ipad, never owned one before. I have always been an android guy and from what I have heard Ipad os or ios is pretty restrictive in nature so I was wondering how much does it hamper the piracy experience. For example on android I can torrent files of any nature or size without any restrictions and sideload the apk’s of paid apps to enjoy them for free, can I still do all this on an ipad or should I just drop the idea and get an android tablet instead ?

• lemmyvore@feddit.nl
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

Torrent clients are banned from the Apple Store and you can’t sideload apps. It’s a very restrictive device in many respects.

• LarrytheLobster@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

You can sideload apps but it’s really annoying without having a developer account or without a bought udid (which is I think not really allowed). This would however allow you to have sideload more apps and you only have to refresh the certificates every year. You can still sideload with sideloadly or altstore but as I said, it’s really annoying because you need to refresh the certificates every few days and you can only have 3 apps sideloaded.

• elboomy@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 months ago

On the other hand, as of June 2023, general dev accounts have become free. They only cost 100 USD when you want to submit apps to the App Store. It’s still a hassle, compared to Android, but it’s not as bad anymore.

• doleo@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            7 months ago

I don’t think that’s the case, but I’d like to be proven wrong. You can use a free icloud account to temporarily sign apps for a week using Alterserver, but afaik you still need a paid account to sign them for a year.

• narc0tic_bird@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

This should get somewhat easier in 2024, in the EU at least.

I doubt torrent apps would work well on an iPad though unless it’s running in the foreground.

• B3_CHAD@lemmy.dbzer0.comOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

uuff, that apple silicon is the only thing that made me wanna buy an ipad in the first place but I can’t deal with their restrictive software environment.

• kniescherz@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

Get a used M1 Macbook Air. MacOs isnt restricted like their mobile devices. Its passivly cooled, relativly cheap, portable and also capable for more serious productive work.

• cryptix
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

Yep didn’t knew that when I brought my first apple device(iPad). But android space was bad when I brought it so there’s that.