In a statement, Northvolt says its validated cell is more safe, cost-effective, and sustainable than conventional nickel, manganese and cobalt (NMC) or iron phosphate (LFP) chemistries and is produced with minerals such as iron and sodium that are abundant on global markets.

It is based on a hard carbon anode and a Prussian White-based cathode, and is free from lithium, nickel, cobalt and graphite. Leveraging a breakthrough in battery design and manufacturing, Northvolt plans to be the first to industrialize Prussian White-based batteries and bring them to commercial markets.

Reports across the web also say the technology enables the supply chain to become ecologically more sustainable, cheaper, abd less dependent on China.

• pelya@lemmy.world
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

Probably in 10 years, because it’s a car battery, and it takes time to pass all regulations. Notable absense of comparing it to Lithium battery, so definitely not targeted at smartphones. It will get installed into your nearest wind farm first.

• DarkThoughts@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

I mean, a lot of decentralized battery storage solutions are probably even more important right now, simply because we still require exactly that for our grids.

• TWeaK@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Notable absense of comparing it to Lithium battery

I spotted that also.

In terms of BESS, my experience is that the bigger issue has been designing cubicles that don’t leak or catch fire.

• Ophioparma@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

For now the manufacturers themselves see their market mainly in african and middle-eastern countries. So maybe not even the nearest wind farm depending on where you live.