This is purely for my own personal curiosity, but what’s the main reason you self-host? I say main because I don’t know how to allow multiple answers, if that’s possible at all. For me it’s the last option; because it’s cool. If it’s none of these reasons, absolutely make additional options in the comments.

@ mods, if this in any way breaks any of the rules or just generally detracts from the sub at all, I’ll gladly remove it. Also I didn’t flair it because none of the flairs seem to fit.

View Poll

• DARKEASC@alien.topB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Privacy, it is almost impossible in the modern era. But still a bit more under control

Security, it is an illusion, very hard to keep on security

Cost, the hardware, time invested and energy may be higher than standard services

Education, good reason

Because it is cool, yeah it is

Better services, disagree, they are not better, usually clumsy and high maintenance, may work as intended or lack features

There is a simpler reason I like self hosting, I don’t want to be subject to the mercy of the changing of rules of a tool I can’t manage. Possible closure, increasing cost, features by tiers, I really hate subscription models.