I just stepped down as moderator from all five of the subreddits I used to moderate over on Reddit. I just can’t ethically justify continued activity on Reddit, and especially free volunteer labour for an openly greedy company that is engaged in scummy behaviour, forcing mods to open protesting communities or be demoted.

So my online activism for boys and men is now focused here and on Mastodon. And I am welcoming everyone coming over from Reddit, especially from LeftWingMaleAdvocates, the sub I put in the majority of my time and effort as a mod.

Let’s build something good here, as we did previously on Reddit. It appears we have a wider reach here, so let’s debate in good faith and with civil manners.

Here, in this magazine (i.e. community or subreddit in Kbin-speak) we wish to discuss and spread awareness of various issues that disproportionately affect males.

We believe men are not being well-served by either side of the mainstream political spectrum. We oppose the right wing’s exploitation of men’s issues as a wedge to recruit men to inegalitarian traditional values. But we also oppose feminist attempts to deny male issues, or shoehorn them into a biased ideology that blames “male privilege” and guilt-trips men.

We have no objection to the genuinely egalitarian aspects of feminism, but we will criticize feminist ideology wherever it is inegalitarian and/or untruthful, especially now that it holds institutional power. Too often feminism has promoted a one-sided “equality”, dismantling male advantages while exploiting, reinforcing, preserving, and downplaying female advantages - particularly in cases involving alleged abuse.

In practice this means that most of us are politically homeless. The natural home for male advocacy should be the left wing, which professes to be explicitly egalitarian. But in modern practice, men’s issues are habitually ignored, denied, or even opposed.

We seek to address male issues without falling into the traps of an impossible return to the past or a disastrous sexism. Men and women have equal value, and we need to work together for a better future.

• Sorchist@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

You seem to have an extremely specific take on men’s issues, insisting you’re not one of those men’s rights guys but nonetheless taking a dim view of feminism except when you deem it sufficiently egalitarian and uncritical, I dunno about grabbing the whole concept/namespace of “men” and dedicating it to that. But ya did it, so good luck with it.

• Infiltrated_ad8271@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

insisting you’re not one of those men’s rights guys

MRAs seek gender equality before the law and full human rights for men, MRAs are a branch of egalitarianism. If you think there’s something wrong with that, that’s your problem.

• vlakas@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

What exactly should we have done then? I only claim to speak for myself; in an ideal world I would love to work with feminists, but we’re having conversations here that are not permitted in feminist spaces, so we need our own space for that. I hope you’ll be open minded and do a little reading here to see what we’re about.