• KptnAutismus@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

i’ve always been fascinated how american cops just erupt into chaos whenever something did’t go how they wanted it to, despite not telling the person what they wanted them to do.

and then be confused why people anre’t following orders when shouting conflicting commands from 3 different officers with a dog barking uncontrollably in the background.

thank god the police takes itself more seriously where i live.

• Pat_Riot@lemmy.today
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

American police are just professional schoolyard bullies. They will beat you up, take what money you have on you. If you’re a woman or girl it’s not unlikely that they will rape you. They will shoot your dog and are hoping with every fiber of their being that you will give them half an excuse to shoot you. Every bit of that can happen with no provocation at all.

• Stoneykins [any]@mander.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

Whether it was intentionally designed this way or just something that stuck because it benefitted them, the way they are trained teaches them to behave in that confusing way, and results in them being more often able to justify the use of force (just justify it, they use force whenever they want) because “the suspect wasn’t following orders”.

• deo@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        7 months ago

My mother is a sweet law-abiding citizen, always follows the rules. But cops make her supremely nervous, and she’s terrified of going to jail (even though, like I said, she’s done nothing wrong, but that doesn’t always matter). I’m afraid she’s gonna get pulled over for a broken tail light or something and end up getting hassled because she’s “acting suspicious”.

I would assume cops get training for dealing with people in stressful situations, but from all the instances of things going downhill so fast for little to no reason, it doesn’t seem like the training is sufficient (or like you suggested, maybe they are taught the wrong things altogether). Their mere presence can make people anxious, and stress alone can cause people to have difficulty processing the situation (not to mention the conflicting orders, the dogs, the yelling, the flashing lights, etc). I know that, for the things I’ve been trained to do, it’s a constant struggle to remember that others don’t know even the basics of my field, and assuming that they do is a recipe for miscommunication. But when i communicate poorly, it doesn’t end with people getting shot.

• Facebones@reddthat.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

Step away from the vehicle

Get back in the vehicle

Slowly get out of the vehicle

Do the things I say, I’m a cop

• NutWrench@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    7 months ago

Giving you contradictory orders is standard operating procedure whenever cops need an excuse to abuse or kill you:

Cop1: “Get on the ground!”

Cop2: “Don’t move!”

Cop1: “I SAID GET ON THE GROUND!”

Cop2: “I SAID DON’T F*CKING MOVE!”

But hey, you were being “uncooperative” and that’s what the record will show, even though it’s literally impossible to follow both orders at the same time.

• foggy@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    7 months ago

You know that kid who everyone wanted to punch but didn’t because his big brother was everyone else’s big brothers drug dealer?

That’s cops.

• Grayox@lemmy.mlOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

We had a field day in Middle School and there was a kid getting picked on and I went and tried to stand up for him, cause I got bullied sometimes as well, and after the kids left him alone. The kid shoved me on the ground. Dude grew up to be a cop.

• Grayox@lemmy.mlOP
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

Googled him and he had a lawsuit filed againsf him for a false arrest, and he also had a tiktok where he posts about being a cop . . .

• kase@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

Oh god, I didn’t need to see this today. Last night I watched a woman (who was sitting quietly, not causing trouble) be tackled and handcuffed by a security guard inside the bus station. His reasoning was she’d been there too long. The asshole guard called the cops, and it just escalated from there. There’s more to the story, I’m just too angry still to get into more detail. Anyway, in the end, they took her in, and I can’t stop wondering where she is now.

Sorry for the wall of text, I just needed to get it off my chest. I only recently moved to the city from a small, quiet suburb, so I’d never seen this kind of thing firsthand before. It sucked. I wanted to say or do something, but I just stayed feet and watched, bc it seemed like anything I could do would only make the situation worse. It was the same kind of helplessness I used to feel growing up with an abusive parent.

After the cops left, everybody in the station just kind of stood there and shared a collective sick sigh at how wrong the whole thing was. I love my city to death, but I have to wonder, how do people cope with seeing things like this? What do you do with it?

• Grayox@lemmy.mlOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Filming the encounter is always a good option. Sorry for triggering you with this post, that shit can be disturbing, Policing is seriously fucked and exists mainly to protect property owners, not regular citizens that are the most vulnerable

• kase@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

Oh that’s a good suggestion, thanks! Please dw about the post, more than anything I’m just glad people are talking about it. Thank you for the kind reply :)

Oh, and I have a weird question. If one day I do have a video of a similar situation, what’s the best thing to do with it? Just post it online? I don’t have any social media except Lemmy (and youtube), but I guess it doesn’t matter if the point is just to get it out there.

• AngryCommieKender@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          7 months ago

There are a few apps that will upload your video directly to the cloud so that if they take and destroy your device, or the original files, they can’t destroy the evidence. There are also ACLU apps to upload the video to their servers so they can have the original video, even if the Criminals On Patrol destroy your device, or coerce you into allowing them to delete the files.

That’s your first line of defence. Make certain that your devices are pattern or password locked. Do not use biometrics. The Criminals On Patrol don’t need a warrant to force you to open your phone, in the US, if you can unlock your phone with biometrics, I.E. your fingerprint, face, or any other lock that only requires you to be there to open. Patterns and passwords have to have a warrant, and you can still refuse even with a warrant under certain circumstances.

Second line of defence: always wear some sort of protective gear. This can range from multiple layers of silk or leather clothing, all the way to anti-stab or bulletproof vests. Remember the Criminals On Patrol have no vested interest in ensuring that law abiding civilians, (what they refer to as “potentially armed enemies”) can maintain any semblance of safety. Their only objective is to protect the property of the rich.

Third line of defence: COPs are not your friends, as you have already seen. They are nothing more than state backed armed thugs that will murder you as quickly as they will look at you. Shut the fuck up, and record. Don’t say anything to these thugs as it will only make it worse for you. If they attempt to arrest you, don’t resist, allow them to illegally detain, and rob you. This isn’t always enough to keep your life, so be careful and vigilant.

Edit: If you have the ability, carry a burner phone that has all these apps, exclusively when you can. Having only an unattached burner phone, and no ID really confuses these Thugs with badges.

• kn33@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

“I just need to know who I’m speaking to”

Stop speaking to me and that resolves itself