Bill Gates says a 3-day work week where ‘machines can make all the food and stuff’ isn’t a bad idea::“A society where you only have to work three days a week, that’s probably OK,” Bill Gates said.

• Fades@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

it will NEVER happen as long as we live in an oligarchy in which the rich are dependent on the lower classes not only for their labor but they also need us to exist for their feelings of superiority. They need people below them to feel good about themselves, they will NEVER let us escape the wage-slave to profit vacuumer dichotomy.

• cameron_vale@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

I don’t think it’s a “need for a feeling of superiority” that’s keeping it this way.

I think it’s because the hunger of the oligarchy is literally bottomless.

Each oligarch is in competition with all the other oligarchs.

Oligarch power is wealth.

So the oligarch feels eternal pressure to get wealthier. To beat the other oligarchs who are also constantly pressured to become wealthier. It’s a variety of prisoner’s dilemma.

And they get wealth by squeezing resources. Resources like us.

• Nahdahar@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

I disagree, I think it’s always just about money. Power hungry-ness comes from the fear of losing your current position, the fear of not advancing and getting left behind. With power they secure the position they have. And it’s not just exclusive to the rich. You can see the exact same pattern in a random fucking McDonald’s.

If it was more profitable (and possible) to automate 40% of work at any given company (the ratio Gates said in this article), everyone would do it in a heartbeat.