• Sivar@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

You must have experienced a different Germany than I have. Lots of incompetent or asshole drivers on the roads. IMO that has nothing (very little) to do with driver education, and everything to do with drivers‘ mentality, as it’s very different regionally within Germany.

Rules also don’t help if not enforced. What are you suggesting? Lower the speed limit another 10, so they can now go 30 above instead of 20?

• merlin@open-source.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I’ve driven pretty much everywhere in Germany except Bavaria and I’ve never experienced a horror show such as @DeadlineX described or what I regularly see in dash cam footage.
      I may need to get a dash cam myself though to collect proper evidence of German driving behavior.
      In my experience the worst drivers are from Hanover and would be interested if anyone can confirm or deny that.

To properly encourage appropriate driving speed proper road design is needed.
      On a highway in the Czech Republic for instance I’ve noticed that the lane dividing markings are shorter and closer together between the first and second lane which made it easy to drive the 130km/h limit without looking at the speedometer because the sense of speed was greatly increased while on the highway in Germany I feel quite comfortable at 200km/h while at 130km/h I feel like a snail barely moving forward.