• Haggunenons@lemmy.worldOPM
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Haha! Well, this is the first of any kind of feedback I’ve gotten on the description, so thank you very much, I suppose I should make it more understandable. I basically just told chatgpt to make a description for a bioacoustics community in the voice of Douglas Adams.

Bioacoustics is the science of the sounds that animals make, it’s been around for a while as a science, people as far back as Aristotle, and probably further, have been talking about it. Digital Bioacoustics is basically the evolved form of it, given the new age of advanced technology and AI. For a long time, scientists were pretty limited in this field by only being able to study what they could go out into nature and listen to with their own ears. Technology has allowed us not only to record vast amounts of data and analyze it like never before, but it’s also made it possible to study sounds that are outside of our rather limited range of hearing, which nature has a lot of. Thanks to modern tech, the field is moving in the direction of gathering up more data than anyone could possibly listen to, and then having AI go over it to find patterns that we never could in an attempt to essentially decode the communication systems of animals.

In this community, I have gone a bit outside of what is strictly the acoustic component of animal communication. I post pretty much whatever I find interesting that has to do with any type of animal communication or language evolution/decoding, etc, since really is all quite connected.

There’s been some cool discoveries in recent years, and I suspect there will be more in the not-to-distant future, so I figured it would be nice to gather up the advancements to follow along as they happen.