I wanted to buy a large amount of Venezuelan bank notes as a gag gift for Christmas. 1,000,000 Venezuelan Bolivars is supposed to be less than 1€ but when looking online most sales are 50€+ for that amount.

• remotelove@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

I guess my question really was, why implement those restrictions to begin with? Inflation is a complex thing, no doubt, but it seems like too little, too late.

On the surface, even someone trying to buy currency on EBay is a form of demand. Reducing paper currency in circulation seems like a good step. However, with everything being digital now, that is not quite the case anymore.

• dustyData@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

Oh boy. I could tell you the whole story. It has tons of twists and turns. But the short version is, we are ruled by a military backed kleptocratic bourgeoisie. It was all part of a decades long ploy to funnel private property and wealth into the pockets of a few generals and politicians. It worked. Now they own everything and are the richest people in the country. Their riches are in dollars now, so they only pay lip service to stopping over the frontier contraband of currency paper that is used in the criminal counterfeit industry.