• Iceblade@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Not particularly surprising. I expect that those areas have AfD in leading positions in local governments and implement policies to avoid migration.

• 🦄🦄🦄@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

I expect that those areas have AfD in leading positions in local governments

Then you don’t know what you are talking about.

• Iceblade@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

Okay, then elaborate please, what’s the situation like?

I’m just transposing what I know from Swedish politics, given that Germany also has municipal counties with a certain degree of input. In Sweden, the 2018-2022 government tried (and failed, due to legal problems) to overrule municipal councils where the Sweden Democrats were influencing their governing coalitions to refuse to receive asylum seekers, in some cases even paying other municipalities to receive them instead.

Hence that voting districts with high SD voter counts now have fewer migramts than other parts of the country.

• sonnenzeit@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

No, it’s more like most of those regions have low economic opportunities to begin with and that’s why not many people migrate there. Conversely especially young and educated people leave those places for greener pastures.

Also note that it also makes sense that areas with higher immigration backgrounds to yield less votes (as a relative proportion of total votes) for the AFD. Simply because people with immigration background would be stupid to vote against their own interests.