Not perfect but I think there is value in posting failures. Might have been better with a butter wash

• afraid_of_zombies@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

I just think the spices could have been spread more evenly and there is a small burn on the bottom from the olive oil runoff. I ate that part. Kids loved the bread so maybe I am off base. They thought I was making pizza from the smell. One thing is the olive oil made it very crunchy which was nice.

Think a thick butter glaze would have been a better way. Butter on the olive oil + spices wash.

Honey instead of sugar will probably be my next attempt. Thinking heavy cream wash.

• froge@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

Be careful with honey the conversion is not one to one from sugar. Worth a try regardless

• afraid_of_zombies@lemmy.worldOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

I gave my standard recipe to chatgpt and recommended

1.25 tablespoons honey instead of 1.5 of sugar.

Reduce water for bulk fermination by about 1 tsp off my normal 3/4 cup

Cook at 350F instead of my normal 375F but stay with 40 minutes (carmalization avoiding).

Does this sound good? I truthfully don’t know.

• froge@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            7 months ago

Honestly never baked with honey, but sounds right. Worst case it’s a little sweet. I’m sure king Arthur baking has some info on it