Hello, apparently hanging out in Lemmy inadvertently makes you thinking about using Linux. I am planning to install Linux Mint cinnamon on an older laptop, which I want to bring to LAN Parties. From what I read I can just format my C:\ windows disk, install Linux via bootable drive and from what I understand, proton is basically included when installing steam after setting up my new Linux OS? Thanks for your comments:)

• Rubanski@lemm.eeOP
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

Oh and one additional question, is it recommended to uninstall all programs I had under Windows, so I won’t have to deal with "ghost files "? As to use windows helping me remove installation data? I have my laptop partitioned into C and D, where in D I have all my documents plus installed programs, C is solely for the OS.

• RiikkaTheIcePrincess@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Assuming I’m understanding you correctly (I think I am: “ghost files” would be files of the old filesystem read and kept by the new one?) No, that’s unnecessary unless you have data you specifically want unrecoverable, in which case you’ll want a ‘file shredder’ or srm type tool to handle that. Other than that you’ll probably not be using any filesystem format Windows offers, so it also won’t be recognizing any Windows files even if such a thing would otherwise be possible.

As for your main post, you seem to have the right idea. Steam recognizes that Windows games won’t run natively on a Linux system and will either “automatically run with a compatibility tool (Steam Play)” (or something like that) or refuse to launch/install the thing until you configure it to run everything non-native with Proton by default (which is a checkbox in the normal settings menu, not anything weird or buried).

…Also sometimes it just launches Wine? At least for me? That’s kinda weird, honestly, but I set up my systems in weird ways so that may just be a me problem 😅

Simply put: I think you’ll be fine just not worrying about anything and going directly to your “boot from install/live media” step and not worrying about anything else unless there’s a problem… at which point you come yell at us and we help you fix it ;P

• Rubanski@lemm.eeOP
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

Thank you for your extensive answer, I feel confident now to do the “leap of faith”

• ace_garp@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Good practice is to backup your D drive, before installing to C drive.

In case something goes wrong, etc.