Not sure if this is something better implemented in Thunder or within Lemmy somehow.

I’d love the option to only show posts in specific languages. It’s great that people worldwide are jumping on Lemmy, but I feel like I’m playing whack-a-mole with posts written in languages I don’t read.

This feature, combined with an instance filter would make me so happy!

• gribodyr@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

This is already a thing. If you client doesn’t have the language setting for your profile, you can do it on the web. Log in to your instance from the browser, navigate to your profile and choose your languages. After that you’ll stop seeing the majority of posts in other languages.

• rsh@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Ok, so I think the issue is that I selected English and undetermined. I’m still getting multiple other languages. Is this because those instances are not publishing those posts as whatever language?

• darklightxi@lemmy.worldM
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

That may be the case here if you’ve set your desired languages in the settings. I think the default language when creating a post or comment is set to “Undetermined”, which is why they don’t get filtered.

• darklightxi@lemmy.worldM
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

Hey there, thanks for the suggestion! We’re slowly adding in account settings (settings that sync up with your lemmy account) on a case by case basis. Right now, this only includes user/community blocking and instance blocking (coming in Lemmy 0.19.x) If you’d like, feel free to open up a new issue on GitHub for language selections and we’ll see what we can do!

For other settings not available in Thunder at this time, you can go to the web UI and adjust those settings there (and they should generally apply in Thunder as well)