Running a TrueNAS Scale server with Jellyfin and planning to add Nextcloud. How would I be able to access these services from outside my network? I have heard portforwarding is unsafe and a VPN seems inconvenient to me.

• starcrossed_hero@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

I don’t think it is explicitly against the ToS any longer, although it used to be from what I can gather. There is no longer a section 2.8 here but it does state in section 2.7:

You agree not to…(b) post, transmit, store or link to any files, materials, data, text, audio, video, images or other content that infringe on any person’s intellectual property rights or that are otherwise unlawful

So as long as you either only host original content or your media server requires login and is not open to the public then I don’t think you’d have any issues.

I actually use a Cloudflare Tunnel in this way to serve a Jellyfin docker container and have not had any issues. I also disabled Cloudflare caching though for the subdomain that Jellyfin is served from, in order to be sure Cloudflare wasn’t caching that media either.