Italians have great raw ingredients, if only somebody would teach them how to use them.

• velox_vulnus@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    7 months ago

I feel like Punjabi cuisine is over-represented in the west, especially the first one. Almost every “Trying out Indian dish” video is Eastern Punjabi stuff, there’s hardly any Pakistani or alt-North Indian stuff. Not saying that it is bad, but that’s kind of like eating greasy American stuff - eating donuts and cheeseburgers once in a while is fine, but too much is just not good from a health-perspective.

What’s sad is that you folks haven’t tried Marathi dishes - I had the privilege of visiting Satara and Lonavla, which are two amazing places in Maharashtra, which is extremely under-rated - surprisingly, it is also very much under-represented in Mumbai, perhaps due to the influx of North Indian migrants. Yes, most of it is spicy, even by Indian standards, but they’re amazing. Especially Srikhand and Sabudana Khicdhi (sabudana pearls are made of tapioca, but they’re transparent-coloured, instead of being black like boba pearls). I’d also give a thumbs up to Konkani, Malabari and also (our) Mangalorean cuisine - my favourite being the Udupi-style Masala Dosae paired with Bringal-Moringa Sambar, and also the classic Sheera-Upma combo.

• Vode An@lemmy.mlOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

I feel you, variety is the spice of life (but that’s only after a vicious battle against cumin that could have gone either way).

That sounds awesome, I’m on the Wikipedia pages for a couple of those rn and you’re spot on. Nothing like it around me, but there is a Pakistani place that does Charsi Karahi with goat and it’s “viable contender for last meal” tier.

I need to learn how to make some Marathi food, when you said “spicy by Indian standards” you convinced me lol.

Thank you for sharing all this information and stuff. Not what I expected from a pizza shitpost.