Hello everyone,

I thought it might be interesting to have regular catch-ups (e.g. weekly posts) to discuss progress everyone is making on their languages.

• AlolanYoda@mander.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

That’d be a good idea! There’s very little activity in this community and I’d like to have some sort of language learning community here in Lemmy. Especially with how much of a presence the fediverse has in European countries like Germany and the Netherlands.

I’ll start: I’ve started learning Dutch very recently. I started by studying grammar from a website, but since I’ve had some impossible months at work I haven’t had time to do anything other than a daily Duolingo session (up to streak 90-something). I’m aware Duolingo is not enough but I’m using it as a stopgap to not stop thinking about the language while I have this busy period. I’m also gathering some courage to send a few texts in Dutch to a Dutch friend (we’re not close enough for a phone call, unfortunately).

If anyone has any TV shows in Dutch that I could put in my backlog for when I have more time, I’m all ears!

• BlazeOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

TV shows in Dutch

Interesting, I know a bit of Dutch too. Do you want to learn the Netherlands Dutch or the Belgian one? The pronunciation and accents are quite different.

• AlolanYoda@mander.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

Truth be told, I have been studying Netherlands Dutch because I may have a job there in the future… But suddenly Belgium is also an option so both would be beneficial hahaha

But I’d still like to focus on the Netherlands Dutch as it still seems more likely that’s where I’ll go.

• BlazeOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

Alright, then you can probably ask the people on feddit.nl what they can recommend you.

• avocado@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

I recently started to learn some Mandarin with the Hello Chinese app. Speaking wise it’s not too bad. However, learning the character is pretty rough.

• AccountMaker@slrpnk.net
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

For characters I usually memorize which strokes go after one another. And I write them down physically on paper to get it into my muscle memory. If you do this for a couple of hundred characters, you’ll be exposed to most of the strokes there are, so every new character you learn can be represented as a series of strokes you already know.

• AccountMaker@slrpnk.net
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

I use Clozemaster to acquire new vocabulary with daily repetition (on a 949 day streak), but it only works if you know the grammar fairly well and have the basica under your belt as is the case with my Greek.

But I decided to learn Welsh a few days ago. It’s really hard to find resources, so I’ve been using duolingo. I’m not much of a fan of the app, but I can’t start drilling vocabulary with clozemaster if I have to look up every word in a sentence.

I’ve been slacking off with German though. But generally I read the news in German and add some interesting words I didn’t know into my anki deck.