Previous Thread | Next Thread

Hi everybody! Another week in the books and that means we have another general thread. This is a catch-all thread for any questions you have, opinions you want to share, or random musings. Some examples might be:

• What happened to Ruri Dragon?
  • I just finished Usagi Drop and am looking for something similar. Any recommendations?
  • Is Rent a Girlfriend a great manga, or the greatest manga?

Like normal, please be careful with spoilers. I wrote a guide about spoilers in case you need a refresher on how to handle them (also linked in the sidebar).

• wjs018@ani.socialOPM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    7 months ago

This week I wanted to bring attention to manga that I have discovered and enjoyed, mostly just within the past week thanks to hearing about them from others on Lemmy. Thank you to everybody mentioned here and I look forward to sharing more great manga together going forward.

• Ri-chan from @Rottcodd@ani.social - I am now caught up with this series and have really enjoyed it. The chapters are really short (usually just one page), so it was pretty quick to get caught up. This has turned out a lot nicer than I thought it would be based on the synopsis. A great thing about this series is that the main characters actually communicate with each other, a huge improvement over many romance plots in manga.
    • Ubunchu from @hitagi@ani.social - This series feels like a targeted ad aimed directly at my life. It is a series published as part of the official Ubuntu magazine in Japan. So, it has linux-focused comedy. Some of my favorite chapters included the introduction of the Unity desktop, meeting Mint-chan (Linux Mint), and the fallout of OpenOffice being forked. These are all events that I vividly remember living through. In fact, when Unity was introduced to Ubuntu, I actually switched to using Mint as my go-to distro for years. So, like I said…targeted at an audience of one - me.
    • Ogami Tsumiki to Kinichijou from @Thade780@lemmy.world - I hadn’t heard of this series before, but caught up in the past week and have really enjoyed it. Tsumiki is such a great character and a great example of how to do a “cool” character correctly. Somebody is cool when they are confident enough in who they are to not care about what you think, not because they match a certain idealized image. Making the MC somebody that is overly concerned about what others think adds to the impact of how little Tsumiki cares about it. Looking forward to more of this one.
    • Regarding the Destruction of the Destruction Flag as a Result of a Nichiasa-Loving Otaku Being Reincarnated as a Villainous Student from @Thade780@lemmy.world - This is an isekai story I was not familiar with in which a Sentai hero superfan gets isekai’ed into a game world that is similar to what you see in the Otome genre. He is trying his best to “Henshin!” his way to hero-dom in this new setting. I think there is a lot of potential in this story to set itself apart from the isekai pack, but it is still quite early in the story.
    • RTA Sousha wa Game Sekai kara Kaerenai from @zephyroths@lemmy.world - I just caught up to the latest chapter on this series after the post over on the ml community caught my eye because I used to watch lots of speedruns and GDQ events in a previous job in which I had more time (curse you adulthood!). This series is an isekai in which a game speedrunner gets isekai’ed into the game that he speedruns. Turns out that all the glitches still work in the isekai world leading to a ton of pretty funny hijinks. The author definitely is familiar with speedrunning and the culture around it and I think some of the actual glitches are references to real life speedruns (Zelda OOT Any% is a pretty clear influence). One of my favorite bits about this is how much the MC loves the game. Too often people think that the speedrunners breaking these games with glitches don’t respect the game, but the reality is that the speedrunners are usually huge fans of the game and they are just finding new ways of enjoying it. Not really sure where this one is going, but it’s been a bit of a refreshing take on my usual cookie-cutter isekai fare.