I’m in the market for a very small knife. I mostly just want something to keep in my pocket for box cutting and sharpening pencils. Budget under $100.

I’m looking at the CRKT Squid Compact and the Kansept Mini Corvid, but I’m also open to suggestions. Does anyone have any thoughts on those two, or other teensy knives?

• eating3645@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

I know Kershaw does a mini leek, called the chive or scallion or something else in the onion family.

• CalicoJack@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

They do both of those. The Chive is just under 2" blade, and the Scallion is like 2.25". Both are great if you need something tiny, but feel kinda expensive for their size.

• IRQBreaker@startrek.website
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

I’ve had a Leatherman Squirt PS4 dangling in my keychain for a couple of years now. Perfect size. However I just noticed that it’s discontinued, so maybe the Leatherman Micra could be a replacement.

• XeroxCool@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

That’s sad. I’ve had a PS4 (and ES4 for a bit) as my EDC with my keys for I think 6 years now. I use something on it multiple times a week

• Echo5@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

The Ledge by Statgear is a pretty sexy little knife, you can custom engrave it too

• T_Brmnstr@lemmings.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

Depending how small you want there are lots of knives that will do what you want. Many are also acceptable in restrictive jurisdictions.

Some suggestions:

Fox Vulpis 1 penknife. This is high quality, good materials and unlikely to scare the horses.

Kizer Walnut. It has an unusual look, but it works well for the sort of light duties you are looking at. More likely to intrigue onlookers than alarm them.

Lansky Madrock World Legal. This one might catch the professional interest of police and get you side-eye at the school gates. It looks a bit more aggressive than the previously mentioned knives. It’s a bit bigger too, but still a small knife. The Hawksbill blade is probably the best for box cutting and will sharpen a pencil just fine.

The Svord Peasant Mini or Micro. These are bloody great, fun knives. Get one of these. They look like and are perfectly normal working knives. Not zombie apocalypse weapons, just tools. The police may want a look but they won’t get alarmed. Brenda at the school gate may still think you are weird, but not an unhinged murderer. The peasant knives will do what you want. You can sharpen them with the most basic tools and you’ll learn to do it decently. Just get one, everyone needs one eventually.

I do have a favourite but I think I’ve been pretty even handed.

• Curious Canid@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

I think the Spyderco Ladybug is still the most functional really small knife you can buy. It is tiny, but provides a solid grip, a good lock, and a very effective blade.

• Phogger@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

I’m a big fan of the Spyderco Dragonfly and there are a ton of options to pick from. It’s just a really solid and well executed small knife. You might also take a look at the Spyderco Jester. Unique blade design and just under 2” cutting edge with a 3 finger grip. Theknifejoker.com has them in 20cv for $59 right now.

• ChonkyOwlbear@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

I’ve carried a Swiss Tech Utilikey for 20 years now. Besides a knife it has 3 screwdriver bits and a bottle opener. The best part is it’s never raised an eyebrow at a security check. It really sucks having your EDC confiscated at airport security because you forgot you had it on you.