I’m looking to getting back into VR gaming. However, with my switch to Linux, that has made things a little more complicated. I don’t own a Valve Index (although I’ve heard that there are some issues with the Index on Linux), I own a Rift CV1. As far as I’m aware, the Oculus Rift is pretty much completely incompatible with Linux. I do also own both Beat Saber and SUPERHOT VR on the Oculus Store (poor choice of platform, I know).

So, unless there’s something I’ve overlooked, my options are as follows:

1. Sell my Rift and stop playing VR games (weird option to choose but it’s an option).
  2. Sell my Rift and save up to buy a Valve Index (despite its issues)
  3. Sell my Rift and save up to get a Quest 2 (or 3 when that comes out, although that plays into Metz’s pockets).
  4. Keep my Rift and do tiny experiments with it (again, weird choice given the title of the post, but it’s an option)

Does anyone have any advice for me here?

• DebatableRaccoon@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I’d recommend dual booting. Get a hamstrung ISO of Win10 so the telemetry crap is DOA and use it exclusive for VR so it doesn’t eat away at hard drive space.

It’s against my religion to recommend buying any further Oculus product. I want a unit like the Quest that can play standalone as well as plugged in but I was already on the fence because of Oculus being a Facebook product (before the window-pane-licking-IQ name change) and the reveal of them lying about needing a FB account was the nail in the coffin for me.

• Neshura@bookwormstory.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Just to chime in here a bit regarding the Index:

The headset itself is fine, meaning if you have the room setup done you can play games no problem (assuming the games play nice with Proton, most do but I’ve seen a few hiccups here and there).

What is not fine is SteamVR. If you are unlucky the App will not really work with your PC out of the box, in which case you’ll have to play around to get it working, switching to and from Beta branches.

Only real problems exist with the Lighthouses, you’ll need a Script to put those into and out of Standby mode and updating their Firmware via Bluetooth does not work.

• MrStetson@suppo.fi
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

I still dualboot Win10 for VR. Even tho my HTC Vive works ok on Linux it works better on windows. This would be the cheapest most hazzle free option for you too

• code@lemmy.mayes.io
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Quest2 has issues in linux too. I cant get it to work. Im selling mine and getting a set of nreal glasses instead. Way more useful to me until linux vr support is solid in some headset

• Cass.Forest@beehaw.orgOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I was planning on using the Quest 2 as a standalone headset (unless I’m referring to the wrong headset) detached from my computer.

• code@lemmy.mayes.io
        cake
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

It will do that fine. Nice little toy to mess with. I spend more time wathing plex on it than anything hence getting the glasses

• Cass.Forest@beehaw.orgOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

The NReal glasses are cool-looking and would be something I’d consider getting if I had anywhere near that amount of money.

• Pekka@feddit.nl
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

If you would just stick to playing games on the Quest 2/3 directly that should be fine. The Quest 2 can run basic games, so it does limit you a bit. For example VR Chat has some worlds with too many assets that are not playable on the Quest 2 directly. From what I remember you would be limited to Meta’s store though.

Unfortunately VR seems to be a niche thing so I doubt this will get a lot of priority on Linux.