• Labtec6@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

And a very high number of Ukranian soldiers want Russian soldiers out too.

• HomebrewHedonist@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

This was a good read. Very interesting! I highly recommend it. It gives a compelling account of the conditions Russian soldiers are facing.

• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

The calls offer a rare glimpse of the war as it looked through Russian eyes — a point of view that seldom makes its way into Western media, largely because Russia has made it a crime to speak honestly about the conflict in Ukraine.

They also show clearly how the war has progressed, from the professional soldiers who initially powered Vladimir Putin’s full-scale invasion to men from all walks of life compelled to serve in grueling conditions.

“As long as we are needed here, we will carry out our task,” a soldier named Artyom told AP from eastern Ukraine at the end of May, where he’d been stationed for eight months without break.

In the spring, as the Professor’s brothers drove down a road outside their hometown in Russia, a car made a U-turn into the side of their vehicle, sending it spinning as a semi bore down on them.

Called up for military service from a small town in Russia’s far east, he soon found himself in eastern Ukraine’s Donetsk province, on the southern approach to Bakhmut.

In September, Andrei’s mother told AP her son was home, keeping himself busy with his family and collecting pine cones from the taiga.

The original article contains 3,277 words, the summary contains 201 words. Saved 94%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!