I want to get back into reading, so I’m thinking of getting a Paperwhite. But I have no idea if it’s possible to transfer files to it from a computer, and I have no experience with pirating books.

Do I go to the same places I torrent movies and games or are there special places dedicated to E-Books?

EDIT: So many awesome answers on here! You guys have been very helpful. Thanks a lot!

• Kage520@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

As someone buying a color screen boox soon, I think it’s worth a mention that the battery is MUCH worse on boox because it has to run android. Like, the boox may last a day or two vs the Kindle Paperwhite lasting a couple weeks.

It’s not a huge issue if you are home a lot and can charge, but I love the Paperwhite because it feels like it ALWAYS is charged. It just doesn’t have the color screen so I guess I will have both now, one for comics and one for books.

• trolololol@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

That’s weird, I’d expect my battery life to be at least 30h for reading books.

Though if I use an app like the guardian it goes down faster because of the scroll. So maybe change to another app for reading. I like moon reader.

• dashydash@lemmy.world
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

I have the note air 2 plus, the battery is only bad if you have WiFi on, with WiFi off it can last weeks. It’s a really nice device otherwise.

• LongRedCoat@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

I think I got lucky and got one of the models with improved battery (Onyx Boox Page). I’ve been reading the Trigun manga on it for over a week now and it’s only just getting to the point where I need to charge it finally.

But good point. Some of the older models might have worse battery life to consider. I only have a black and white model too. Color might use more battery.