• Ashelyn@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

What?

Neoliberalism is a term often confused and broadly adapted because of its root words, but originally referred to a movement in the mid 1900s to turn global economic policy towards a laissez-faire, deregulated market system. It was considered new at the time, and it was considered liberal in the “free market” sense. It was heavily orchestrated and pushed by the Mont Pelerin Society.

Not that Wikipedia is the end all authority, but I’d recommend reading up on it

There are alternative definitions for the word many people use today, but when someone refers to conservatives and democrats alike as neoliberals, this is usually what they mean. It’s also the definition I generally ascribe to, so if you have a different understanding, please let me know so we don’t end up just talking past each other.

• Arache Louver@lemmy.blahaj.zoneOPM
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Good luck with your neoliberal assault. For me it is the total lose of our rights as citizens and workers, because of a benefit “ratio”, impregnated in every aspect of society through a dictatorial market.

• Ashelyn@lemmy.blahaj.zone
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

I don’t know what you mean with my ‘neoliberal assault’, but I do not believe that neoliberalism is good. Quite the opposite, really. The effects of a deregulated “free market” typically just end up screwing everyone, especially outside of the imperial core.

Forgive my ignorance, but I just noticed this was the Colombia sub and not one of the general meme subs. I’m uninformed on the situation over there. Are right wingers calling themselves neoliberal as a positive thing??

Here in the USA, there was a trend a few years back where conservatives called leftists and third wave feminists neoliberal, using it to refer to “extreme liberal(leftist) ideology” (because right wingers here don’t know the difference, they mean basically the same thing coming from one’s mouth). For reasons like this, the meaning of the term is way harder to pin down than it used to be, which is why I asked you your definition. Seems like we more or less agree, at least as far as what neoliberalism looks like in the late stage.

Perhaps I’ve completely misunderstood what your meme is trying to say. If the joke is that conservatives are rallying under a word they don’t know the definition of, then I actually find it pretty funny and accurate.