• jjagaimo@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

Something everyone here seems to be forgetting is that even if you are getting the same amount of sleep, sleeping at a time which fits your biological clock better is better for you. I can get some amount of sleep and wake up at 5am and be tired the whole day, and yet if I wake up at 8-9am with the same amount of sleep I am perfectly functional the whole day.

• UNWILLING_PARTICIPANT@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

I noticed exactly this since starting WFH. Even if I suffer a bout of insomnia – where I get maybe 3 hours of sleep – just being able to sleep in to 0800 makes it so much more tolerable.

It goes from feeling tormented to just feeling rough around the edges.

God but I remember fighting to keep my eyes open at school and at work back then.

• BigBananaDealer@lemm.ee
        cake
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

i still have to fight back sleeping anytime i am in a meeting. i actually started hallucinating once. doesnt even matter how much sleep i actually got or if its at the right time, i just automatically get tired sitting down listening to people talk

• MycoBro@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

Man. I can handle 30 min pretty easy. After that I have to stand up at the back of the room cause otherwise I’d be nodding off so hard I would hurt my neck.

• ramjambamalam@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          7 months ago

I mean this kindly: have you had a sleep study recently? That doesn’t sound typical and you may have a sleep disorder like sleep apnea. Diagnosis and treatment could give you more energy during the day. Take care!

• dejected_warp_core@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Circadian rhythms are rooted in our very cells and dominate our lives. Defying them always comes at a penalty. Adding to the complexity here is that everyone is different; social norms be damned.

Jetlag is probably the best studied phenomenon for trying to “break the rules”, and surprise, there is no remedy other than waiting a few days to acclimate to a different solar cycle.