• johnpiers@mastodon.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    7 months ago

@redimk

I’m an Arch user, so before I come across as disingenuous, I need to clarify that I just like to stick with ‘pacman’ as much as possible so that my install stays as “clean” as possible. Most of the time If I can’t find something in pacman I can get it in the AUR. “Varia” isn’t found in the AUR yet and in such cases I’ll go to github and install it from there.

https://github.com/GCJMackenzie/Varia

• juli@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Interesting that my interpretation of a clean install is that there are as little packages messing with each other on the main install. Therefor an immutable distro is very good in this regard. Moreover, for a clean systme I prefer flatpaks. Packages that aren’t available are installed via distrobox. Only system applications are allowed to mess with each other. A download manager isn’t that close to the metal that I’d prefer installing it directly. Flatpak all the way.

• johnpiers@mastodon.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

@juli

Fair enough, I guess each to his own. If you use a distro of your choice and apply a methodology that works for you, then far be it from me to tell you how to do it. Enjoy.