I found I2P much better than Tor network, and now it supports BitTorrent protocol too https://geti2p.net/en/docs/applications/bittorrent .

Why haven’t the pirates migrated to I2P? Why are we still using clearnet and making people backout of seeding cause of DMCA?

• Madiator2011@lm.madiator.cloud
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Probably mostly cause:

• Slow speed unless you you keep your router 24/7
    • People are used to download torrents fast
    • Clearnet has much bigger torrent database
    • idkman@lemmy.dbzer0.comOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago
      • if you configure your node correctly, you won’t see much difference in bandwidth.
      • i2psnark can be fast.
      • but clearnet comes with an issue of tracking.
      • whynotzoidberg@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

I think your response answers the question.

If configured correctly. Can be fast. IMO, once those statements are less conditional and prone to error, we might see the pro of privacy carry more weight.

• Anamana@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 year ago

People don’t understand sometimes how much of a tech-ethusiast bubble we got going on here

• God@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            1 year ago

Of course. Your idea is THE idea. You CANNOT get mass adoption without a minimal amount of hops. You won’t get the hordes of pirates running around reading wikis on how to configure their router for piracy and how to get an i2p provider and how to get an index etc.

Torrenting right now is so broadly adopted because you just download a Torrenting client, click the magnet, click OK and you’re good to go.

If you HAD to set up port forwarding, some magnet handling register in windows preferences, just those two would stop the bulk majority of pirates. And that’s not even 1/4 of what you have to do to use i2p correctly.

• CAVOK@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 year ago

There’s a Windows bundle that you download that sets everything up for you. No configuration required.

Install, start, wait 3 min to get integrated into the network, locate your favourite Linux distro on a tracker and click the magnet link. Easy.

On Linux it’s a bit more complicated, but that’s true for almost everything. Not a lot more, but a little.

• ellipse@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

What kind of speeds are you seeing per torrent and global with a few torrents running? I didn’t try torrenting on I2p yet but even with my node on 24/7 even browsing was hella slow ( i was port forwarded too)

• CAVOK@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Typically around 500kBps I’d say. I’ve seen speeds in the MBps too, but that’s rare.

• nutomic@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            1 year ago

That’s quite slow then. I can torrent an entire movie within two minutes or so.

Edit: Getting 12+ MiB/s with a popular movie from 2006.

• ellipse@lemmy.dbzer0.com
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 year ago

Yeah that is really slow and they didn’t say if it was global or a single torrent. 500kbs is slow for one torrent but if 500kbs is all the torrents combined then that is extremely slow

• CAVOK@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 year ago

A single one. Anonymity makes it slower for sure. Can’t tell you the global max, because I don’t know. If you trust your vpn to not log stuff or to sell you out, then that will always be faster.

Speed is not a problem for me, but everyone’s different.

• constantokra@lemmy.one
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  1 year ago

How’s availability? What are you able to find, and do you find it the same way as usual, or is that separate as well?

• ninchuka@lemmy.one
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 year ago

Yeah that’s fair, I wonder how much faster it’ll get if I2P gets a ton more nodes and more people seeding torrents

• CAVOK@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Chicken or egg problem isn’t it. Most of these issues wouldn’t exist if more people used it I feel.