• FinishingDutch@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

Heck, even if you subscribed to every streaming service out there, some companies simply refuse to make shit available to you.

I once gave Crunchyroll a try here in Europe. I figured there’d at least be something on there that I’d watch, right? Turns out, everything halfway decent wasn’t available in my region. And you COULD get the good stuff on some other service… except that one’s region locked as well, so you can’t get that one here. Oh and even if you think of buying anime on Blu-Ray? Tough luck, that’s not sold in your region due to rights fuckery. Basically, there’s no way for me to legally watch and/or buy particular content.

Piracy is and always has been an access problem. If you make it impossible to acquire legally, well, people will do it illegally.

• Morphior@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

That’s why so few people yarrr music. It’s pretty much accessible everywhere, on different platforms, for reasonable prices, with mostly good UIs. I mean, there’s always that person who has 10+ TB of FLAC files on their server and good for them but most people just pay the [equivalent of 10 USD] per month (or less on a family plan) to get access to everything at a reasonable quality (I mean, you get 1400 Kbit/s FLACs with Deezer Premium). As other people here have said, it’s always an access and convenience thing.

• FinishingDutch@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

Exactly. I used to carry an iPod with loads of music on it. So did everyone else. But these days, nobody even uses an MP3 player. Heck, I don’t have a single MP3 on my phone. Streaming through YouTube Music is all I really need. And it works great for my normie taste in music.

Now, my brother is really into video game midi music and such, so he does have a digital collection of files. But for us normal people, downloading music is simply a thing of the past.