• daredevil
    link
    fedilink
    2610 months ago

Even though this is a nice development, I’m pretty disappointed in the resources directed at Linux support. I’m considering dropping Proton soon.

• @federal_explorerOP
      link
      edit-2
      10 months ago

I agree, the VPN app is just awful, and now drive will take forever to arrive on Linux, probably with a half assed version too.

I don’t know what they have multiple apps, just create one app for everything, mail and calender bridge and sync. A VPN makes sense to be separate, but that can be included too.

Though mail + Simplelogin + VPN(just using the wireguard config) is a killer combination, now with Pass being almost ready to use, proton Unlimited is a very good subscription.

• @kostel_thecreed@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      110 months ago

Proton is a shit-hole except for it’s email - and even then it’s barebones. Consider switching to Mullvad for a VPN, it’s incredible with linux.

• @gamedeviancy
        link
        English
        29 months ago

Imo tutanota is better, if you don’t use rest of their products, are there any advantages of using protonmail instead of tutanota?

• @kostel_thecreed@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          29 months ago

Not really. They are very similar, but I prefer Tutanota because of the $1/m subscription they used to offer. I don’t feel as if $4/m is worth it for email. At the end of the day, it’s really just personal preference.

• Cambionn
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      10 months ago

Article says:

We’re also beginning the beta for our upcoming macOS desktop app for Proton Drive. […] Once the macOS app is released, we’ll also work on our planned Linux version.

Based on Proton’s trackrecord in development times I’ld say a far future, but I must admit they’ve been making meters lately when it comes to releasing stuff. It may be sooner than expected (or it might take years, we’d have to wait and see).

• Hovenko
        link
        fedilink
        English
        210 months ago

Havent tried it really. I like to separate stuff between differen providers

• @Mohamad20ZX@lemmy.one
    link
    fedilink
    English
    510 months ago

I Always Wondered Why proton choose windows first is it because it’s the most popular desktop os or because it has the most software support

• Thunder Fox
    link
    fedilink
    English
    310 months ago

Hmm took them long enough, considering their insane prices. They should be able to recruit more developers.