I’ve been using Ubuntu as my daily driver for a good few years now. Unfortunately I don’t like the direction they seem to be heading.

I’ve also just ordered a new computer, so it seems like the best time to change over. While I’m sure it will start a heated debate, what variant would people recommend?

I’m not after a bleeding edge, do it all yourself OS it will be my daily driver, so don’t want to have to get elbow deep in configs every 5 minutes. My default would be to go back to Debian. However, I know the steam deck is arch based. With steam developing proton so hard, is it worth the additional learning curve to change to arch, or something else?

• OrderedChaos@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

I have horrible luck with any OS. They always break down and require me to reinstall even with minimal usage and zero tweaks. It has one good side effect of teaching me how the system works but it is exhausting having to fix stuff that shouldn’t be breaking. I work in IT and my coworkers agree I might be cursed. Stuff works when I walk in the room for people that ask for my help which is weird. Not complaining about that. It’s just that if it’s something for me it usually breaks.