Been hearing a lot of rumblings from normal people in the warhammer community they are tired of fascists worshipping the imperium of man in their community.

is it like a human supremacist group in the lore or something like the empire in Star Wars?

• RandyLahey [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 years ago

ive read way too many 40k novels lol (yeah i read theory) and theres a huuuuuge disconnect between the different writers. youre absolutely right that the eisenhorn/ravenor books in particular are all about how incredibly dogshit the imperium is, and other books do make this clear as well

but with a lot of the space marine focused ones you can just feel the authors jerking themselves off as they write (someone should compile all the bits from the horus heresy novels where they first describe each of the primarchs in particular lol) and they are often really uncritical or apologetic about not just the space marines but the imperium itself

and of course the video games mostly go no deeper than “yay space marines”

• LoudMuffin [he/him]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      2 years ago

I like the Grey Knights novels because everything they deal with is shown to be a nightmarish shitshow lol, I couldn’t get into the Horus Heresy books

also the moment in Gaunts Ghosts where the Chaos Space marines get fucking merc’ed by the indigenous people of a planet because they were too full of pride and hubris to wear helmets is 10/10 writing