Seems to me the fear of overloading one instance over another will not happen after all.

But I do hope the Threadiverse can hit 500,000 consistent active users by the end of summer.

Give me that hopium guys! 💉

• eggshappedegg@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I’m still not sure I understand how communities and instances work.

If I create an instance here will it show in other instances? Because I did create one on Lemmy world and I can’t see it in the other instance I am at with my other account, even though I look at “all”

• thegiddystitcher@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

When you create a new community, other instances don’t automatically know it exists yet. They find out when the first person from there, searches for your community (search syntax is given in the community sidebar: !community@instance <-- note the ! at the start). Once someone subscribes, it shows up in that instance’s All feed.

To get the word out to other instances you can post in the various relevant communities as well as make sure to drop the link into any relevant conversations where people might be interested in checking it out. Since you have at least two accounts, if you create a community on one of your instances you can also use your other account as a shortcut and search for it yourself on the other instance.

Some useful communities are:

• 640kb@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Very rough explanation:

An instance is just a single distinct computer (server) running the Lemmy software. You have a bunch of these separate computers running the Lemmy software. These computers - together - form the Lemmyverse. (I’m purposely leaving out Fediverse, activitypub).

Each user (no matter what computer/instance they signed up with) has the ability to comment on any post made within this system of cooperating computers (The Lemmyverse). We can also subscribed to each other’s communities (ie; forums, subreddits).

That’s basically it. The ability to share posts and to comment on each other’s posts. You can’t use your login details across Lemmyverse since each computer is distinct.

Some of these distinct computers may decide they don’t want to be part of this Federation of cooperating computers. For the most part they can disengage from this Lemmyverse. For the most part… but the software is still on version (about) 0.18.2 and so complete (or temporary) disengagement from Lemmyverse is still in development (ie; coding, logic decisions, etc).

• eggshappedegg@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Excellent! It’s like old days php forums but you have feeds from other forums too.

It’s a bit scary though that you can have whole lot of content and a whole community but it’s all up to the single instance host if they want to drop it from one day to another.

• straF@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Lemmyworld is an instance. The other one with the other account is also an instance. You do not create an instance on an instance.

You create a new instance by setting up a new web server and having it run lemmy for users to sign on to.

Content propagation’s another issue.