The complaint alleges that while incarcerated at Federal Correctional Institution Tucson, John Turscak, 52, stabbed Chauvin about 22 times “with an improvised knife,” prosecutors said.

Turscak was charged with attempted murder, assault with intent to commit murder, assault with a dangerous weapon, and assault resulting in serious bodily injury, according to prosecutors.

The investigation in the case was conducted by the FBI.

Attempted murder and assault with intent to commit murder violations each carry maximum penalties of 20 years incarceration, while assault with a dangerous weapon and assault resulting in serious bodily injury each carry maximum penalties of 10 years.

Chauvin was expected to survive following the attack last week in a prison in Arizona, the Minnesota Attorney General’s office said earlier.

• _number8_@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    7 months ago

attempted murder, assault with intent to commit murder, assault with a dangerous weapon, and assault resulting in serious bodily injury,

this sounds like they’re charging him 4 times for the same thing? just because you can reword it with bullshit legalese like that doesn’t make it right? isn’t this functionally going against double jeopardy? i mean i’m sure it’s cop in-group shit but still

• meco03211@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

I think they consider some charges together. Like charge them with Murder 1 and Murder 2. Prosecution presents its case. The jury is instructed on elements of each crime to be found guilty. Then they choose which single one to convict or none.

• Dem Bosain@midwest.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

I don’t know how crimes in prison work, but a typical DA will charge every crime possible just for bargaining position. Not only does it make it easier to get a charge to stick to the guilty, it also makes it possible to win a case against the innocent.