Hi, I will possibly be hosting a semi public Minecraft server (it would be whitelist only, but more or less with strangers). The players would be predominantly from the EU, so GDPR protections would apply.

To reduce possible liability and the amount of work when someone requests their data, I would like to limit logging of personally identifying information. Do you have any experience or possibly know if a guide that you could point me towards? Not asking for legal advice, just technical.

• vxnxnt@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Your best option to avoid unnecessary data collection is to just use a FOSS server. Paper (Github) is a pretty good one imo. It’s also super lightweight and has some really good performance tweaks.

• アルケミー船長@lemmy.one
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Since 1.19.2 minecraft servers now have a way to report users directly to Mojang, while this might sound good, the community has been very up in arms about this and the data concerns that come with it. Assuming you plan on moderating your own server, I believe there is a way to disable this feature server side in the configuration.yml file in your server folder. It may be wise to use older versions if you believe this to be an issue. Depending on your userbase and if you plan on having mods on your server, there are client side mods that will help ease some of the data concerns, like disabling the chat report feature mentioned earlier. You may also look into encrypting chat messages although this requires both server and client side software for all players that you plan on having join, and since you mentioned its people you don’t know, its unlikely that people would be willing to install any mods unless you already plan on the server being modded anyway.

• ccryxOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Thanks for the hint regarding Mojang’s/Microsoft’s silly moderation policy. I would be moderating myself and there would probably be mods installed anyway. I think encrypting chat might be a bit too much but I’ll keep it in mind.