I haven’t yet deleted my Reddit account, but I will. I’m pissed that Reddit is doing what its doing. I’m kind of waiting for Lemmy to grow in popularity so that there’s more available than delete my Reddit account completely. In the meantime, how can I fuck with Reddit and help people on Reddit move to Lemmy?

What can I do in the meantime while on Reddit in protest as an average user of Reddit?’

I don’t mind doing something undercover so long as its not too illegal.

• j_roby@slrpnk.net
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Ya know, you could just stop using reddit and help Lemmy grow by sharing content and discourse. It’s nice here.

• Fryboyter
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago
    • Create interesting content on your Lemmy instance.
    • Participate in discussions on your Lemmy instance.
    • Tell friends and acquaintances about Lemmy without missionizing.
    • Create for example content on your blog that points to Lemmy.

All this should be much more useful than doing anything on Reddit.

• dakku@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

Maybe stop giving a fuck notburneddown ?

Whatever you do, Reddit is on its path to corporate enshittification and it’s unlikely that you can ever change it. Just move on with stuff.

• Lvxferre@lemmy.mlM
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

My go-to approach would be to use Power Delete Suite or any similar tool to replace your content with gibberish (gsfdjkhfdsk style), and leave it online. It hurts Reddit far more than simply deleting your content.

Then simply use Lemmy (or Kbin, your choice) instead of Reddit, as you’re doing now. You’re denying it content, and giving content to competitors. Bonus points if you bring common topics into the new platform, we could use some discussions about random stuff that is neither Lemmy-related nor Reddit-related.

• nfh@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Is there really anything you can do that’s better than nothing at all? Using it, interacting with people, letting them serve you ads all keep reddit going, if only a little. Reddit the company is determined to kill their product, so take the hint and let them. Just disengage, and if you aren’t too nostalgic, take your data with you.

• myself@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Reddit keeps kicking mods of subreddits that refuse to open even if it leaves the subs without mods. They then offer the subs to anyone. You can request one and instantly close it down again :D

• 07Chess@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Go on Reddit and take screenshots of your list of followed subs. Get an RSS feed app (I like Inoreader). Follow all of your subs that you’d like on there. You’ll be able to see everything including comments but you won’t be able to up/downvote, comment, or create your own posts. I imagine you not being logged in, not seeing ads, and not interacting or contributing content hurts them. Meanwhile, continue interacting on Lemmy as much as you can and tell people you know about it.

• dhork@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

In addition to not going back, unsub from all your subs. I couldn’t unsub from all of them: I didn’t have the heart to unsub from /r/baconreader, or the guy who posts pictures of his cows from Ireland. But where I had dozens (maybe 100) before, I think I have five now.

In the press, sometimes they are lazy and add up the number of subscribers to individual forums and talk about the billions of subscribers Reddit has. So by unsubbing from as many subreddits as possible, you help reduce that number.

• makeasnek@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago
    • Post content to Lemmy and share those lemmy links on other platforms so users end up here and go “hey… what’s this site, this looks cool!”
    • Donate to Lemmy development either with money or code
    • Tell your friends about Lemmy, get them using it
    • Help ArchiveTeam backup reddit (donate your computers bandwidth). The world is going to lose a lot of knowledge as a result of reddit’s purges. https://archiveteam.org/