• Mac@mander.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    7 months ago

There is a phrase for this that escapes me at the moment. I’ll edit when i remember.

Uncanny valley. The uncanny valley is the valley between when something is distinctly inhuman and realistically human. Here inbetween are the things that are almost but not quite human. They feel creepy, odd, and strange.

• XanXic@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

I think uncanny valley isn’t quite the feeling I’m describing. Maybe I’m being pedantic but it’s different than that. Image generation can create some realistic people who completely avoid uncanny valley. It’s just AI generated people have like “thumbprints” of AI. Like a certain sheen, similar creases, and a ‘generic’-ness.

Maybe it’s something that comes from looking at them a bunch. I spent a lot of time messing with stable diffusion making stupid shit. And it’s like I guess the same feeling when you watch movies with a cinematographer/director you’re familiar with. Like even it’s a movie you haven’t seen before, the color pallet, composition, and framing is like “oh this was made by x.”

I’ve been impressed by how detailed and realistic some pictures are but like the lighting is a huge giveaway.

• Mac@mander.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

Ah, i know what you mean. You can often tell AI because it’s too perfect. The skin being too smooth is often a dead giveaway.
        I personally still put that in the uncanny valley, but i hear you.