Vaccines can be delivered through the skin using ultrasound. This method doesn’t damage the skin and eliminates the need for painful needles. To create a needle-free vaccine, Darcy Dunn-Lawless at the University of Oxford and his colleagues mixed vaccine molecules with tiny, cup-shaped proteins. They then applied liquid mixture to the skin of mice and exposed it to ultrasound – like that used for sonograms – for about a minute and a half.

• brbposting@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

I heard an ad for people scared of dentists - they were offering to put people under.

[More] dangerous and expensive, but better than skipping it altogether.

Gotta be a market for hyper-hypodermic-phobic folks. Even if you & I stick with the five second jab.

• abraxas@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

There’s more to full sedation than just “scared of dentists”, but it’s a start. Anyone who needs substantial work can get it done in 1 day on full sedation instead of a dozen shorter sessions. yes, “needs substantial work” often relates to “scares of dentists” (or relates to “was too damn poor for dentists”)

And I’m with you on hyper-hypodermic-phobia thing. People don’t realize that “fear of needles” does not manifest as a phobia, but as an acute body response. Getting a shot ruins me for a week, and often involves a doctor’s time because my vasovagal symptoms tend to need a little more expert observation. About 1/3 of the time I stop breathing for a short time. I’ve never needed life-saving measures, but they need to make sure that’s the case (lol).

So for doctor’s offices, it could easily become savings for them because of people who have responses to needles.