Edit at bottom:

I have purchased a larger pot than usual of contact adhesive. My last pot was 1/2 the size and started to thicken after a year (mostly used).

As a hobyiest, I’m wondering if there is a cheap solution to extend the life of the glue or bring it back to life, it’s not the cost but trying to reduce waste. Product is a solvent based polychloroprene contact adhesive (EVO-STIK IMPACT ADHESIVE).

To identify if cause was user error - stored in the tin, and I wrapped in plastic as an extra air barrier, it was on a shelf inside.

Would adding solvents work (have Butane and isopropanol alcohol on hand). Happy to experiment but nice to know I’m not creating leather wrapped napalm.

Obviously best plan would be to double my leathercraft output. Any advice on better glue in UK would be welcomed.

Thank you.

EDIT:

A) first findings are ther cross over between chemists and leather workers seems to be low.

B) Isopropyl alcohol seemed to make it set arder

C) Butane had a slightly better response but didn’t really help enough - think it had gone to far to be saved.

• bowreality@lemmy.caM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I am not a chemist! So I don’t think I can help you with the details here. I don’t know your glue but I know that there is a thinner for Barge. link maybe you can compare ingredients of the glue with yours and see what’s in the thinner?!

• UniquesNotUseful@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Thank you. I will do some experiments and report back.

Report back: A) first findings are ther cross over between chemists and leather workers seems to be low.

B) Isopropyl alcohol seemed to make it set arder

C) Butane had a slightly better response but didn’t really help enough - think it had gone to far to be saved.

So moved to new can and doubling leather making output it seems best options.

• iechoi@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Evo-stik Cleaner No. 3 says “Used for thinning solvent-borne adhesives based on polychloroprene rubber and, to a limited extent, nitrile rubber and polyurethane based adhesives (up to 10-15% addition). It is also used for cleaning brushes and other application equipment used with these adhesive types and as a surface cleaner prior to adhesive application.”

So that might work because you’re using a polychloroprene adhesive? I’m also not a chemist.