This AAR was originally shared at Mudspike, I hope you like it.

This was in February, back in Enigma’s V1 with the lines, no hex grid, flying F1CE in the old scenario.

It must be about a year since I have been eyeing Enigma’s Cold War server. I have flown there once or twice, but have only dreamt of flying the Mirage F1 in a coordinated planned fashion.

I have not flown a lot last week, but last night I managed to get myself invited to @miRage and @MBot 's group and joined them for an attack run in the Mirage F1 on Enigma’s Cold War server. It had just switched to Caucasus earlier that day (I still don’t own Syria).

It was an epic flight. They had a flight plan, a detailed attack plan (with mils, degrees, feet and knots), helped me manage the radios and allowed me to focus on flying and looking around.

As we approached the front line at 20k ft, just above the clouds, @MBot was talking to the AWACS and told us things like: “Fishbed, 10 nmi, roughly heading towards us” “7 nmi” “No he’s on the deck, we’re safe” This happened a few times. I did not feel safe at this point. But that was clearly not going to happen in a full ECW server with 70 players flying aggressively around the same front line area.

Finally, one of the Fishbeds did appear to be coming after us, but that was right as we approached the IP and dove into the valley that would take us to our target. We flew low and fast (Mach 0.95 on the deck) with a full load of 5 Belouga cluster bombs. In trail formation, with yours truly in third

“Only 3 nmi behind us” - our leader said

I suggested using burner but we can’t go supersonic with the bombs still on so we pressed on at M0.95 I said: “Don’t worry guys, he’ll shoot me first”

“Stay on target…” was @miRage 's apt response.

As we arrived at the target, we followed lead’s cues: 30 degrees left, 30 degrees up At 6200 feet sea level, turn into the target. We had planned for a 15 degree dive, release at 1500 feet AGL with the target at 121 mils.

I don’t remember what my dive angle was. I think I was shallow, but I was a bit distracted by the tracers that flew by my cockpit as I walked the pipper onto the target.

I dropped my bombs roughly on target and started flying erratically, low, with full burner, while announcing to the others what was happening. I occasionally looked back but focused mostly on flying dangerously while not flying into terrain.

Some intense tens of seconds later, I spotted one of my flight in front of me and wanted to warn them for the MiG that would surely start taking a shot at them.

Then I heard the magic words:

“AWACS reports nearest bandit is 20 miles out”

I looked past my shoulder and saw a large fire in one of the forests behind me.

He must have flown into terrain or maybe he killed his engine: my flight told me the Mirage F1 can fly faster without killing its engine at low altitude.

We rejoined just above treetop level and managed to fly back to base.

This may well be the best DCS experience I have ever had.

Looking forward to more attack runs on ECW with these guys!