• 16 Posts
  • 188 Comments
Joined 1 year ago
cake
Cake day: June 11th, 2023

help-circle

• I get it, I actually use the exact same distros you mention: Pop!_OS, Endeavour and Fedora.

Had the same experience with Pop!_OS: those few things that did not “just work” but needed tinkering caused quite some issues. And yeah, somewhat more bleeding edge than Ubuntu LTS is nice: to use neovim on the 22.04 base, I’d need to use distrobox or build vim from source, but on Fedora and Arch, it “just works”.

I liked Endeavour, though I haven’t really used it with a DE, I went with Sway. So hard to compare, but the manual sysadmin intervention everyone keeps talking about has been minimal. AUR is amazing, pacman is fast and sane.

I went to Fedora because it is bleeding edge enough, but seems better tested and more stable than Arch. Also wanted to see how BTRFS is setup on there and test the rollbacks. The codec stuff has been terrible though. Even after enabling RPMFusion and installing a bunch of them, the Fedora source Firefox still refuses to do video calls in MS Teams. I’m using Flatpak browsers now but downloading flatpak updates is way slower than even the worst package manager for “native” binaries. Feels a bit odd to have to use a Flatpak for the browser.

If I had to install a new pc today, I’d go EndeavourOS with KDE (which I’m using on Fedora now), BTRFS and systemd-boot. I got to know systemd-boot in Pop!_OS and have tried a different boot manager (rEFInd), but systemd-boot is amazing.

• Congrats! I hope I’ll be able to join you soon!

For me it’s a combination of factors that make the barrier for this last use case higher. I almost exclusively play DCS: World in VR using a Reverb G2 WMR headset. I’ve had a friend offer his worn Valve Index, which should work on Linux. But:

• I’ve heard mixed things on SteamVR Linux support (supposedly they just shipped a ton of fixes)
    • DCS:World in VR is hard enough to run smoothly on a bog-standard Windows 10 setup. And there’s quite a bit of artefacting in Wine/Proton. I’m not sure the added troubleshooting and glitches is worth it
    • My graphics card is an Nvidia. This means I’d like to wait for 555 and proper Wayland support to land fully and I’d probably lose out on the DLSS speed boost on Linux. Or I should sidegrade to an AMD RX 6900XT.

It’s a bit of work. In the meantime, at least as long as Windows 10 still gets security updates, I wikl continue to use my Windows dualboot for VR flight simming only

• IIRC, Canonical is using Ubuntu to push an “extended security maintenance” program or something like that.

These kinds of services are all the same. RedHat does it, Microsoft does it, many others too probably.

The idea is: (stop reading if any of these don’t apply)

• You are a huge enterprise with lots of money
    • You have a lot of computers with a lot of complex, (manually tested and badly designed) programs/systems that are strongly coupled to and dependent on the specific configuration of those computers.
    • Thus, you HATE upgrading all these computers to new OS versions
    • You would love to pay a company to give you a sense of security by providing monthly security patches so you can keep using your old OS
    • You don’t really mind that this is fundamentally flawed and insecure because the cost of upgrading to a new OS version is too great for you to pay: you’d rather take a subscription for shitty bandaid.