cross-posted from: https://feddit.nl/post/11027166

Petition: make WMR open source

Microsoft has stopped supporting WMR.

Please sign this petition to?open-source the software, so others can maintain it and prevent the perfectly good VR headsets becoming e-waste!

• dillekant@slrpnk.net
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

I’m using Monado with my WMR device. It’s still very early days but progress is good. The big issue is that you’ll need to have up-to-date firmware, and the only way to do that is on Windows.

• F04118F@feddit.nlOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

That’s awesome! Well you won’t need to expect WMR updates for Windows anymore, firmware or otherwise. I didn’t know WMR worked with Monado. Does it do 6 degrees of freedom tracking?

• dillekant@slrpnk.net
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

6dof works via basalt (and there’s hand tracking as well I believe) but right now the experience is very Janky. eg if I put the headset down it gets confused and starts drifting heavily, forcing a restart. It used to crash sometimes on some types of motion as well. My WMR controllers aren’t being detected and 6dofing properly even though they should be. But the bones are there.

Here’s a video of Monado being used and doing the tracking.

• TheRealCharlesEames@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again — WMR is the single thing keeping me from moving to Linux atm. Please save face Msft.

• F04118F@feddit.nlOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      4 months ago

Same here, on a Reverb. The only “upgrade path” that could take me to Linux is the announced Bigscreen Beyond at about €2k for a set. Pure SteamVR means it works great on Linux. Every other headset is a sidegrade at best. Even the Valve Index doesn’t have the sheer pixels the Reverb G2 has. I neeed the pixels for flight sims