• Yerbouti@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    23 days ago

I don’t understand your VR reference, but I need to say it: yesterday I got VR working on Fedora!!! Like almost perfectly. Even for monitoring development in Godot! To me this is the final nail in window’s coffin, deleting it today.

• F04118F@feddit.nlOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      23 days ago

Congrats! I hope I’ll be able to join you soon!

For me it’s a combination of factors that make the barrier for this last use case higher. I almost exclusively play DCS: World in VR using a Reverb G2 WMR headset. I’ve had a friend offer his worn Valve Index, which should work on Linux. But:

• I’ve heard mixed things on SteamVR Linux support (supposedly they just shipped a ton of fixes)
      • DCS:World in VR is hard enough to run smoothly on a bog-standard Windows 10 setup. And there’s quite a bit of artefacting in Wine/Proton. I’m not sure the added troubleshooting and glitches is worth it
      • My graphics card is an Nvidia. This means I’d like to wait for 555 and proper Wayland support to land fully and I’d probably lose out on the DLSS speed boost on Linux. Or I should sidegrade to an AMD RX 6900XT.

It’s a bit of work. In the meantime, at least as long as Windows 10 still gets security updates, I wikl continue to use my Windows dualboot for VR flight simming only

• Yerbouti@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        23 days ago

I’m actually really impressed by how smooth it is, especially since I use ALVR wireless on my home network, with an NVIDIA. It does require some tweaking but once it works it goes really well. I’ve tested 4-5 games and it’s super smooth. Better yet, I can use my quest to monitor and play projects directly in Godot while I develop them! It’s awesome. Goodbye forever windows. I already have 555 since I’m actually on Nobara, not sure it would have work with the previous driver.

Good luck to you!