Just started to research more into Monero recently. I was one of the people who used to think Monero was a “bad guy” thanks to the way tech journalists and mainstream media report and portrays it. After making a point to read about it and took the time to research, test and experience it. Monero seems to be the only crypto and chain that fully aligns with the ethos of Satoshi Nakamoto!

• tusker@monero.town
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    7 months ago

Congratulations on being able to wade through the mainstream trash and arrive at the logical conclusion that is Monero.

Anyone serious about crypto is actually looking for Monero.

• VolunTerry@monero.town
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    7 months ago

Welcome to the instance. And welcome also to the best crypto that can be used as actual currency!

Huge kudos to you for being inquisitive enough to break through the propaganda and see for yourself. Almost everything you read in the legacy media is propaganda these days, and it’s not easy to keep an open mind and then learn, and read, and listen, and watch, and just keep digging until you find the truth. Once you do find it, it rings true and feels right. Again, congrats for resisting labels and becoming a free thinker.

This is one of the steps to taking that red pill and opening a whole new journey. Enjoy the ride and bask in the freedom of censorship resistant money.

Glad to have you aboard!

• Saki@monero.town
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    7 months ago

Thanks for joining monero.town :) Not only it’s a good crypto—it is a great privacy tool, recommended e.g. by privacyguides.org, accepted (as donations) by the Tor Project (which is endorsed by the BBC, the New York Times, etc. and now also by Amnesty International), by Tails.net, and many other privacy advocates.

You might be thinking about “investment” but the implications of Monero is much, much bigger—among other things, you may question today’s privacy invasion by some oppressive governments or monopolizing companies like Google.

Gandhi said that whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it’s very important that you do it, 'cause nobody else will.

Also, if you happen to be a math geek or a cypherpunk, this thing is based on Elliptic (Ed25519)—something deep and fascinating for number theorists to study!

• MetaRyuk@monero.townOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

I was studying privacy coins and ZCash and Monero came into the picture. Read about the pros and cons of both and realized that there is a whole company, shareholders behind ZCash. Monero on the other hand is not. Also, Monero is privacy by standard and default whilst ZCash is privacy by option. So i gotta give it to Monero on this. Also, I’m a researcher and participant of the web3 ecosystem first, investor last. Thanks for the warm welcome!

• Saki@monero.town
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

Yes, Monero is community-based. That is warm and fuzzy, except frankly, this Lemmy instance is not always very peaceful… its users tend to be vocal and variously a bit weird.

XMR is an interesting experiment and, although not perfect, rather successful so far. Several privacy-friendly companies accept XMR as you can see on kycnot.me so it has its ecology. Like you said in your OP, this might be what Satoshi really wanted to create.

For many people it’s difficult to get out of the box—ditching Google, Windows, &c. You have chosen and joined Lemmy (Fedi), even though there may be a more “popular” place elsewhere in non-libre world. That’s why I said thanks!

• chevy9294@monero.town
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

Also, if you happen to be a math geek or a cypherpunk, this thing is based on Elliptic (Ed25519)—something deep and fascinating for number theorists to study!

I’m guessing you know more than average person about this, right?

I’m very intersted in cryptography, math, and programming. I’m making some basic programs in rust with encryption (I haven’t done any zero-knowlage, signing, ant similar stuff, but I want). Do you maybe know how can I learn more about this? I’m 16, still in (Europe) high school, after that I will (hopefully) go to faculty for CS and math. I will learn a lot, but I want to start now. Do you maybe know any projects I can do? Now I am trying to implement basic post-quantum encryption with lattices (it’s not going well).

• Saki@monero.town
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        7 months ago

A fun project would be: factor Mersenne numbers! Naive trial division -> optimize your code by only trying valid candidates (you’ll learn about quadratic residues, Jacobi symbol etc.) -> You’ll soon realize that trial division only goes so far, motivated to learn new approaches. The P−1 method may impress you, it’s powerful. Enjoy coding that. -> But then, you’ll be frustrated by even stronger opponents here and there beyond M100, which the P−1 method can’t factor. Now you’ll be so ready, even determined, to learn ECM. At this point, you’ll find using elliptic curves is actually not so difficult, because it’s just like P−1. And yay, 20- or 30- digit numbers are no longer your enemies, they’re just small fish, elliptic curves rule!

Before you know it, you’ll have a clear, intuitive vision about “an elliptic curve over a finite field”. Try to understand why ECM works. Try to count the number of points. Everything you experience with ECM is related to ECC too.

I’m not that good; know enough to know that I don’t really know much. Just a hobbyist; posted ℍappy ℍamilton Day! here.

• xmr_unlimited@monero.town
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

‘Aligns with the ethos of satasho nakamoto’ dont like this quote… I like this one better ‘Bow down before the one you serve you’re going to get what you deserve’