I just started listening to Lessons in Chemistry, and so far it’s excellent. It’s also depressing. I (a mostly cishet male), know cognitively that women have faced horrific treatment and discrimination for thousands of years. So far, the writing in Lessons in Chemistry is very good at making something I know as a fact feel very visceral.

That’s a good thing, and I hope many men read this and experience it in a similar way as I am, though I fear the sorts of men that need to experience this are not the sort of men that are likely to read this book.

• jordanlund@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

Reminds me vaguely of the true story of Rosalind Franklin who discovered DNA and promptly had that discovery co-opted by James Watson, Francis Crick and Maurice Wilkins, who were awarded the Nobel prize for “their” discovery.

https://www.nature.com/articles/nature01399

I think I’d rather read her real story than a fictionalized novel.

• harsh3466@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

I wouldn’t be surprised if Rosalind Franklin inspired the author. And that’s fair. I go in waves. When I was a kid and into adulthood I read a ton of fiction. As I moved into adulthood I started reading a lot of non fiction, and for the last few years, it’s been primarily fiction again, though I’ve recently added a few biographies to my queue.