This is an automated archive made by the Lemmit Bot.

The original was posted on /r/AmItheAsshole by /u/Fragrant_Emu_1119 on 2023-07-14 17:54:15.

I regularly eat with a group of friends and invariably someone forgets their wallet so we cover them and they pay us back. The last few times I have paid for the person that forgot and it took me a couple of weeks to collect. Not a big deal but annoying.

So I brought cash for my meal and drinks this time. I always have the same thing so I know how much my bill will be.

When we were done I put my cash on the table and yup someone forgot their care. Oopsie. They asked me to pay and they would get me back. I said I also forgot my wallet and only had cash. Just enough to pay for my bill.

Someone else offered to pay but was clear that they wanted their money that day.

The person who forgot his card then remembered that he could pay with his phone.

He approached me outside and said I embarrassed him by making him look like he was cheap or something. I said I wasn’t responsible for paying his tab.

AITA?

• mycatiskai@lemmy.one
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Spectacles, testicles, wallet and watch. These are the three things my dad told me never to forget as I walked out the door.

It is a bit different now as the technology has changed and I got laser eye surgery. Now it is keys, phone, wallet and testicles which doesn’t rhyme at all but the original still serves as a reminder.

• mark_dennis1199@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Only this wasn’t a case of the friend “forgetting.” This is the friend being a freeloader. OP’s plan worked well.

• mycatiskai@lemmy.one
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Definitely this friend just wanted someone else to pay and then forget until the friend gave up on collecting.