My biggest gripe with *lemmy is the community search only brings up communities that have already been cached by the instance you’re on

At first I would search for communities and be shocked that there’s so many that don’t exist until I realized I have to manually go on my browser and type myserverurl/c/communityIFoundSomewhereElse@ItsInstance if im the first one from my instance to want to sub to that community

Is there a site that can search all communities that this app can communicate to, then force my instance to cache from a search result?

Would make this app really stand out

• BrownPolarBear@lemmy.pt
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

This is not the way. Remember, most if not all instances are non for profit. If you force an instance to host all of the federated lemmy content even content nobody on that instance is subscribed to it will have a financial cost that I think no admin is willing to pay. Also admins will soon be purging data that is not being subscribed to by the users of that instance, so it will just be a waste of time, and might even get you banned from that instance.

• andyquest@sh.itjust.worksOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Nah I’m not saying to force my one instance to cache all communities

I’m saying a feature on the app that lets me search all communities in a site that already indexes them, like lemmyverse

And then once I’ve found thr community ive searched for, a feature to load just that one community from my instance to add it to my subs or peruse, not every community.

• BrownPolarBear@lemmy.pt
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

ah sorry my bad, misunderstood your post. I agree then, sounds like a useful feature.

Be sure to check out the github issues for jerboa there might already be someone asking for this.

If not, you should think about creating one. It will have a better chance of devs responding than here.