I read manga on the Hisense Touch which has a somewhat small screen, making it very hard to read some manga. At first, I thought the Touch just had really bad display sharpness but then I realized most scans are just too low-res.

For some manga, I need to hold my phone like 2 inches away from my eyes which is horrible and very damaging for my eyesight, so I was wondering if there’s a manga reader app out there that upscales manga/reduces noise as you read (using something like waifu2x)

I found this feature request for Tachiyomi but it was quickly turned down and as such my expectations are quite low, but I figured I’d ask anyway

• Sirosky@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

Idk if it’d even be possible to create a mobile app capable of real-time/on-the-fly upscaling using neural networks, especially when manga pages tend to be quite large. If you want something free, best bet would be to use something like chainner on a reasonably good PC and bulk upscale chapters before loading them into your phone.

• Merulox@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

mangasee123, mangapark, and mangadex mangapark tends to have the most high-res scans from what I heard (or at the very least doesn’t do any compression iirc)

• Scraft161@iusearchlinux.fyi
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I’ve had really good results with mangadex and most scanlation groups just upload there with most other sources (including the old manga rock) just stealing from there.

I haven’t tried mangapark though and I only really use tachi as a mangadex reader (I know neko exists, but I also like to use a certain other source and having both in a single app works neatly for me)

• Cabowski@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Nyaa.si does have direct downloads for manga. It might be a pain but doing that then getting a comic reader app might be better. I use SideBooks on iOS

• Merulox@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I use Nyaa.si to download manga volumes which I then transfer to my Kobo Libra 2 e-reader, but downloading individual chapters weekly is too much work, so I prefer to read currently publishing manga on my Hisense Touch (android e-reader) from online sources through a reader app like tachiyomi

• Merulox@lemmy.worldOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Not really. As mentioned earlier, the screen size is too small to comfortably read manga on, and I don’t feel comfortable using it for anything important because it’s from China. But, well, that’s a good thing; once I get around to selling my iPhone X, it’ll definitely work its job as a dumbphone.