• kool_newt@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

Makes me want to try putting beans and hot ass water in my blender and pouring that into my Aeropress.

• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

The regulars included two volcanologists, Josef Dufek and Joshua Méndez Harper, who noted striking similarities between the science of coffee and plumes of volcanic ash, magma, and water.

As previously reported, there’s actually an official industry standard for brewing espresso, courtesy of the Specialty Coffee Association, which sets out strict guidelines for its final volume (25-35 mL, or roughly one ounce) and preparation.

So Hendon and his colleagues focused on building a mathematical model for a more easily measurable property known as the extraction yield (EY): the fraction of coffee that dissolves into the final beverage.

A bunch of simulations and several thousand experimental shots of espresso later, the authors concluded that the most reproducible thing you can do is use fewer coffee beans and opt for a coarser grind with a bit less water; brew time was largely irrelevant.

Conventional wisdom holds that a fine grind is best since more surface area of the resulting tamped-down coffee bed is exposed to the hot water, thus boosting the extraction yield.

(It should not be confused with triboluminescence, the emission of cold light when a material is subjected to physical deformation—the reason Wint-O-Green Life Savers emit blue sparks when crushed, visible in the dark.)

The original article contains 835 words, the summary contains 203 words. Saved 76%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!