Respiratory illness activity is elevated or increasing across most areas of the United States, according to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

In total, 15 states plus New York City are experiencing “high” or “very high” levels of respiratory illness activity, defined as people going to the doctor with symptoms from any respiratory disease including flu, COVID, RSV and the common cold.

COVID-19 and flu hospitalizations appear to be trending upward while RSV hospitalizations appear to be to be stable, the data shows.

• Wooster@startrek.website
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

Covid vaccination is at an all time low since roll out, we have new strains, and everyone is back from sharing bugs with relatives at Thanksgiving.

Christmas is up soon.

• lennybird@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

Working at a hospital, what I’m seeing isn’t so much covid yet in our region but positive tests for rhinovirus - the common cold. This is turning into croup, causing wheezing and bronchitis and massive coughing fits for weeks on end.

I should know. My household also has it…

Not to say flu and covid isn’t circulating, too, however.

Friendly reminder that proper nasal irrigation with distilled water, hypertonic saline solutions (isotonic is still helpful if you can’t take the burning) along with gargling saltwater can reduce symptoms, duration, or advancement into the lungs.

• Chetzemoka@startrek.website
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

Also working at a hospital, we’re definitely seeing Covid, and a surprising amount of RSV in older folks. Not a ton of flu yet, but that may be because flu vaccine has good uptake in the elderly population here.

• lingh0e@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

I just got over exactly what you described. No fever, negative covid tests, but uncontrollable coughing and a crackling wheeze that stuck around for a month and a half. Doctors put me through two rounds of antibiotics and cough suppressants. And I’m still not entirely out of the woods yet.

• lennybird@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

Sorry to hear that. I’ve been dealing with this crap for only a week so far and I’m not at the point of needing antibiotics yet but it could very quickly turn that way… Coughing so much your diaphragm is sore sucks. Maybe I’ll get some ab definition lol.

• scottywh@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

I’ve managed to avoid it for nearly 4 years but my son brought it home from high school last Friday and I finally tested positive yesterday… Feeling pretty crummy today but I’m confident it would have been significantly worse if I weren’t vaccinated.

• Revonult@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

Get antivirals asap. They are a covid gamechanger. Need to start taking them within a day or two of symptoms but most states have a service you call, same day appointment over phone, and prescribed.